East Side History Madison’s Blog

By and for the East Side History Club, a project of the Goodman Community Center

Archive for January, 2019

On Atwood Avenue, Businesses Served Businesses

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on January 26, 2019

Have you noticed a change in the “ghost signs” along Atwood Avenue? The old has given way to reveal the even older at 2716-20 Atwood Ave. Here’s the story:

The building was built in 1919 and became Thorson’s Store Fixture Co. in 1935. Fred Thorson owned the business for 55 years until about 1970. The company sold fixtures for grocery stores (Market), retail stores (Store) and Restaurants.

20190112_133514

Photo by Rick Bernstein

Millvander’s Remodeling used the building as a salvage warehouse from 1972-1989. Then it became the Food Equipment Leasing Co. (Below is the sign that was removed to reveal the sign above.)

bank 1

Photo by Ann Waidelich


In 2014 the building was sold to Atwood Studios (Jeffrey Waldman) and has been undergoing an upgrade ever since. 

Photos and research by Ann Waidelich

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »