East Side History Madison’s Blog

By and for the East Side History Club, a project of the Goodman Community Center

Archive for October, 2015

November 14 Meeting: History of the Township of Blooming Grove

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on October 31, 2015

The The East Side History Club meets on the SECOND Tuesday this month, to stay out of the way of the very busy Thanksgiving Baskets activity on the 21st at the Goodman Community Center.

In House, 4718 Monona Drive

Dean House in summer, 4718 Monona Drive

Come on Saturday, November 14th, to hear about the History of the Township of Blooming Grove. Ann Waidelich will present a program on the history of the Township of Blooming Grove, including the 1856 Nathaniel & Harriet Dean house and the early development of Monona.

We will meet from 1–3 pm in the Evjue Room of the Goodman Center, 149 Waubesa St.

$2 suggested donation.

_deanhouse_winter

Dean House in winter

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

History Plat by Plat: Miller, Hudson, Elmside and More

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on October 20, 2015

On Saturday October 17, the East Side History Club learned about three early residential developments south of Atwood Avenue: the Samuel Miller Subdivision, Elmside, and Plat of Hudson Park.

Each plat promoted itself as the best place to build a home.

Plats 1976

Samuel Miller Plat: In 1863 Simeon Mills built a large sandstone mansion at 2709 Sommers Ave. Ann gave a brief history of its ownership.  In 1905, when the Miller family owned the property Samuel Miller had the property surrounding the house subdivided into 64 lots. “A large portion of these lots give as fine a view of Lake Monona as any in the city.”

SimeonMillsHouse

Elmside: “Fair Oaks, her rival on the other side of the St. Paul RR tracks has been advertised and boomed for years, say the people of Elmside, yet they look down upon their fair rival and claim to be the choicest suburb of the two.”

Hudson Park:  “Of the many beautiful residential sections of the east side none surpasses Hudson Park as a place in which to make a home.  This plat originally comprised a tract of land consisting of 18 acres with frontage on Lake Monona.  This frontage now composes the park strip still bearing the name of Hudson Park.”

The program concluded with an overview of the park along Lake Monona known as Hudson Park, including the Harry Whitehorse sculpture “Let the Great Spirit Soar”, the marker honoring Lt. Gerald Stull who died “landing” his disabled plane in the lake rather than have it plow into homes along Elmside Blvd., and the efforts that the Friends of Hudson Park have made in conjunction with the City of Madison to improve the beach and eliminate invasive plants along the shoreline.

 

Upcoming meetings of interest:
Thursday Oct 22, 2 PM  Warner Park Community Center: History of the North Side
Sunday Oct. 25, 2 PM Monona Public Library: Monona History Club meets. Topic: history of early Wisconsin railroads.
The next East Side History Club meeting will be Saturday Nov. 14 at 1 pm Goodman Community Center. Our topic will be the history of Blooming Grove, Monona & Dean House.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »