East Side History Madison’s Blog

By and for the East Side History Club, a project of the Goodman Community Center

Archive for September, 2015

“Picturing the Past” presentation featured in Wisconsin State Journal “Around Town” Column!

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on September 23, 2015

Around Town: East Side History Club raising money to reprint popular album

Reporter Matthew DeFour stopped by planning to stay a few minutes but found East Side History fascinating enough to stay for the full presentation, and interviewed attendees and presenters during our social time following Ann Waidelich’s slide show about the Schenk-Atwood Neighborhood.

The following morning, East Side History Club fans were delighted to find our activities the focus of a feature in the “Around Town” column. Read the article here!

Over 100 people turned out on a beautiful Sunday afternoon for"Picturing the Past" presented by Ann Waidelich.

Over 100 people turned out on a beautiful Sunday afternoon for”Picturing the Past” presented by Ann Waidelich.

 

Kathleen Scott and Katherine Christenson, daughters of William Ashley, brought memorabilia from when he worked at Gisholt Foundry, among other East Side businesses.

Kathleen Scott and Katherine Christenson, daughters of William Ashley, brought memorabilia from when their father worked at Gisholt Foundry, among other East Side businesses.

Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Picturing the Past: Schenk-Atwood Neighborhood slide show

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on September 2, 2015

Join us for a virtual stroll through time with historical consultant Ann Waidelich. You’ll see memorable images of our neighborhood changing over time, like the ones below showing 2302 Atwood Avenue.
Note, this month we meet on SUNDAY September 20, 1–3 pm in Evjue Room, $2 donation requested.
Goodman Community  Center, 149 Waubesa St.
This meeting is a fundraiser for revising An East Side Album, so bring your checkbook.
1948: JoAnn Hoveland in front of Edgars Shoe Repair (by Alice Dill- man.)

1948: JoAnn Hoveland in front of Edgars Shoe Repair (by Alice Dillman.)

1975: Dog Shop (by James Potter, whi-37259)

1975: Dog Shop (by James Potter, whi-37259)

 

2015: Chocolate Shoppe (by Sarah White)

2015: Chocolate Shoppe (by Sarah White)

 

 

Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »