East Side History Madison’s Blog

By and for the East Side History Club, a project of the Goodman Community Center

Archive for August, 2011

Fire Fighting on Madison’s East Side: Meeting topic for 9/17/2011

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on August 27, 2011


Mike Fuss, who operates a museum from his home in the former Fire Station #8 on North Street, will bring photos, stories and a fire truck to our meeting. Bring your stories of the people and places that protect the East Side from fires and other emergencies.

All attendees are welcome to share memories and memorabilia at our club meetings. We’ll meet from 2-4 pm on September 17 at the Goodman Community Center, 149 Waubesa St. A $2.00 donation is welcomed.


				

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Last chance to buy “An East Side Album”!

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on August 16, 2011

The Goodman Community Center is down to its last box of copies of An East Side Album: A Community Remembers.

Published by the Goodman Community Center in Fall 2008, An East Side Album  commemorates the opening of the Goodman Community Center, formerly the Atwood Community Center, in the renovated Kupfer Iron Works building.

This unique collection of photos, stories, and recipes ties past to present on Madison’s East Side. It is a record of life in Madison’s first suburban development during the 20th century, a period of tremendous growth. As such, it reflects the boom years of Madison’s industrialism and the remarkable East Side pride it generated.

An East Side Album is the result of contributions from over 100 area residents past and present, solicited by the East Side History Club. We focused on collecting “home-made history”—the informal photographs and domestic anecdotes that reveal a side of history rarely preserved in “official” city history.

The book consists of 160 pages and 400+ photos and costs $20 if purchased at the Goodman Center. Absolutely Art on Atwood Avenue also carries the book (retail $24.95) and will ship mail orders for buyers.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

East Side History Club Fall Schedule Features Community Icons

Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on August 8, 2011

The history of the East Side’s fire stations, oldest retail store, and one of our local schools get the spotlight during the East Side History Club’s Fall 2011 schedule.

Join us on the third Saturday of the month at the Goodman Community Center, 2-4pm, for the following programs:

 

The Old #5 Fire Station was demolished to make way for Eastwood Drive construction in 1972.

Mike Fuss houses fire memorabilia in his museum/home on North Street.

On September 17, Mike Fuss, who operates a museum from his home in the former Fire Station #8 on North Street, will bring photos, stories and a fire truck (!) to our meeting. Bring your stories of the people and places that protect the East Side from fires and other emergencies.

 

October 15 finds the History Club delving into the history behind the recently-closed Schenk-Huegel store. A century ago, the growth of the Schenk family businesses triggered commercial development and gave a name to Schenk’s Corners. The Huegel surname followed when daughter Elsie married Arthur Huegel in 1910.

Interior of Fred Schenk’s store circa 1907, with (from left) Art Ramsey, Matilda Schenk, and Elsie Schenk.

 

Ann Waidelich (current owner of Art and Elsie Huegel’s house), Sue Retzlaff (Art and Elsie Huegel’s granddaughter) and Wayne Johnson (last owner of the Schenk-Huegel Co.) will discuss the history of the building at the corner of Atwood and Winnebago Streets and the history of the Schenk and Huegel families that had a presence there from 1893-2001.  Gretta Wing Miller has helped them put together a PowerPoint program of historic family photos and recent video of Wayne Johnson taken during the closing of the uniform store.

All attendees are welcome to share memories and memorabilia at our club meetings.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »