Loftsgordon Lumber Company Remembered
Posted by eastsidehistorymadison on March 14, 2012
The Capital Times reported on Jan. 24, 1962 that St. Bernard’s Catholic Church bought the Loftsgordon property (2402 Atwood Ave.) for $48,000.
They built a convent for the school on the site shortly thereafter. Now it is a shelter home for juveniles.
The lumber company was one of the pioneer businesses on Madison’s East Side, founded in 1907 by Henry, Herman and Oscar Loftsgordon.
It closed in 1961. Henry Loftsgordon was the president of the lumber company but he was also a “snowbird”. When he married Ruth Rice
the Central High School librarian in November 1923, they left for Los Angeles where they spent the winters and returned each spring
to spend the summers in Madison.
Ruth and Henry Loftsgordon had one son Donald. He became a philosophy professor at Occidental College in Los Angeles.
When his mother died in 1966 in California he accompanied her body back to Madison for burial at Forest Hill Cemetery. After the
services, he was so distraught, that he committed suicide in the Loraine Hotel. He, too, is buried at Forest Hill beside his mother and father
who died in 1968.